The following is not an exhaustive list, but a selection of key materials to aid member schools with addressing the unique issues facing all-girls schools related to gender identity and transgender topics.
The NCGS Board of Trustees established a task force in 2014, which reformed in 2018, to explore the question, “How could our schools be inclusive communities, yet at the same time remain true to our missions of all-girls?” Among the various task force recommendations was the creation of a Position Statement & Recommendations (reviewed annually) to help schools consider how they can best support students/alumnae who are in the process of questioning their identity or who have confirmed their gender identity.
The vocabulary of gender continues to evolve. This glossary is provided to familiarize yourself with current language and examples of frequently used (and misused) terms.
As your school works to educate its community on issues related to transgender and gender questioning persons and make decisions, policies or guidelines, and/or procedures related to transgender and gender non-conforming students/alumnae/faculty, NCGS recommends working with outside experts.
The Peer Network is girls’ school administrators who can be contacted to share their professional experience and insight related to either serving on a task force, developing policy or guidelines, and/or working with families to address transgender and gender identity needs on their campus.
Search the Transgender & Gender Identity section of the NCGS Research Database for studies, guides, and toolkits related to transgender and gender diverse youth in PK-12 schools.
Sample Task Force Objectives, Policies, & Guidelines
Girls’ Schools: View Samples
- Related Resources:
Women’s Colleges: View Samples
- Related Resources:
Government & Coed School Associations: View Samples
Looking for further information? Consult the following organizations:
- ACLU: Transgender People and the Law
- AMAZE: Gender Identity
- Family Acceptance Project
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Gay-Straight Alliance Network (GSA Network)
- Gender Justice in Early Childhood
- Gender Spectrum
- GLAAD: Transgender Resources
- Human Rights Campaign: Transgender Children & Youth
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- PFLAG: Transgender Resources
- Think Again Training & Consulting
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- Trans Student Educational Resources