Headways™ provides school leaders the opportunity to connect virtually, using the video-conferencing tool Zoom, to discuss operational issues relevant to their post. Open to all NCGS member schools, interested individuals gather for small group, one-hour long facilitated conversations throughout the school year to discuss pre-arranged and time-sensitive topics.
“Thank you for bringing us all together – this has been a wonderful experience; one of the best professional development experiences I’ve had. NCGS is doing some of the most deliberately forward-thinking and intersectional work out there.”
–Bill Ivey, Middle School Dean | Stoneleigh-Burnham School
Headways™ is deliberately designed to be an interactive conversation among colleagues – as opposed to a webinar – whereby participants share and receive ideas and information. Among the goals of the program is to develop a “team cohort” of trusted colleagues who together form a small learning community and can be called upon to be resources/mentors for one another throughout the year and into the future. Each participant will be asked to consider the following questions in advance of each conversation:
- How does my school address this topic?
- How do I wish my school addressed this topic?
- And, what is keeping my school and me from making this wish a reality?
Available exclusively to NCGS member schools, each cohort includes five conversation topics. A registration fee of $250 is required by each participant. Space is limited with preference given to new, first-time participants who can commit to joining every session within a cohort.
Advance-registration for the 2020-2021 Headways™ program is now open! Join the list to receive information ahead of the general registration period in late August.
2020-2021 COHORT OFFERINGS:
- Admissions/Enrollment Professionals
- Advancement/Development/Alumnae Relations Professionals
- Arts Educators
- Aspiring School Leaders NEW!
- College Counseling Professionals
- Communications/Marketing Professionals
- Department Chairs NEW!
- Diversity & Inclusion Practitioners
- Elementary/Lower/Primary School Teachers NEW!
- English/History/World Languages Teachers
- Global Learning/Exchange Coordinators
- Heads of School/Presidents
- Heads of School/Presidents at All-Boys and All-Girls Schools (offered in partnership with the International Boys’ Schools Coalition)
- Health/Wellness/Fitness Professionals NEW!
- Hot Topics in Girls’ Schools NEW!
- Middle School Directors
- Principals/Heads of School at Charter/Public/Tuition-Free Schools (offered in partnership with the Student Leadership Network)
- STEM Teachers
- Student Life Professionals (Deans of Students, Residential Life Directors)
- Upper School Directors
“My participation in Headways™ was an incredibly valuable professional development experience. The time commitment was manageable even during the busiest times of the year, and the format is very convenient. What I gained was insight into how my counterparts at other schools dealt with issues that are relevant and specifically in girls’ schools, in a small group setting that nurtured collaboration, camaraderie, and peer networking. I highly recommend this opportunity.”
–Theresa Kiernan, Director of Advancement and Admissions | Trinity Hall