NCGS

2016 Global Forum - INSPIRE! Sessions

[I] AIS Allied: a Mentoring Program for Girls Navigating Their High School Experience

DATE/TIME: Monday, February 8, 9:30 AM-10:20 AM

PRESENTERS: Alison Brant, Program Coordinator | Center for the Advancement of Girls at The Agnes Irwin School

AIS Allied, a mentoring program for 9th-12th grade girls, acknowledges both the Wellness and Leadership pillars of the Center for the Advancement of Girls at The Agnes Irwin School. As such, the program aims to foster leadership development in its’ participants and to promote an authentic culture of leadership. Now boasting 20 participants in its second year, AIS Allied provides a unique opportunity for students to speak openly about a variety of topics by providing the space for girls to listen and learn from mentors and peers alike through a process of mutual support and empowerment.

[I] Attracting Funders to your School through Story Telling

PRESENTERS: Kate Kennedy, Development Director and Brianne Wetzel, Principal | Washington School for Girls

Learn how to leverage fundraising techniques to raise money for your school. The Washington School for Girls is a tuition free school, serving students from low-income communities. The school is funded primarily through individual and foundation support and the secret to their success is the strong relationship between the Principal and the Development Director. In this session, you will learn how to apply fundraising techniques to showcase the amazing work of your school, focusing mostly on story telling techniques.

[I] A Center Without Walls: Uniting Signature Programs with a New Model

PRESENTERS: Andrea Perry, Director of The James Center and Whitney Ransome, Founding Director, The James Center | Garrison Forest School

Spurred by a leadership grant and the generosity of a trustee alumna, Garrison Forest School created The James Center in 2008 to house public purpose and experiential programs. The James Center supports the Women in Science and Engineering mentoring program in partnership with Johns Hopkins University, a global service learning program, a collaboration with a Baltimore public school that provides academic and enrichment activities for underserved students, financial literacy programs in all divisions, and an array of other programs focused on STEM, citizenship building, financial literacy, and leadership development. Learn about funding and organization strategies for using a center-structure to strengthen and expand mission-driven, signature programming.

[I] Civic/Community Engagement-Service Learning, Community Partnerships

PRESENTERS: Nini Brenda Sulamoyo, Chief Youth Officer | Ministry of Youth and Sports Development (Malawi)

A presentation on Civic/Community Engagement describes the idea of instilling in young girls the idea of engaging in community work through Volunteerism Spirit. Volunteerism can change behaviors that are detrimental to the psychological life of girls, allowing them to focus on serving others first before they serve themselves, thereby building self confidence and self esteem. Through volunteerism, girls will be counted in working areas that tend to overshadow their participation and contribution. In many developing countries, girls lag behind in school because of bad seated cultures that promote the boy child. With the exposure to opportunities in volunteerism, girls can reverse this trend.

[I] Creating a Culture of Advanced Placement (AP) Pride

PRESENTERS: Jennifer Pineda, Assistant Principal | The Young Women’s Leadership School of Queens

This session will help schools to recruit and to nurture AP students who are excited about the challenge of college level work. This presentation will help schools to evaluate the strengths and the weaknesses in their current AP offerings or help them design and  to launch a new program. Resources will be available and sample documents will be shared. The main purpose of the session is for all participants to gain a new perspective of who an AP student in their schools can be and how proper support and clear expectations for all stakeholders can sustain a healthy culture of college readiness.

[I] Creating Feminist and Queer Global Partnerships

PRESENTERS: Ileana Jiménez, Educator, Consultant, Writer | LREI and Feminist Teacher (feministteacher.com), @feministteacher

Today's girls understand intersectional feminism. They want a feminism that includes not only discussions of gender and sexuality but also race and class. Three schools in India and New York created the first feminist and queer global partnership for students to address gender-based violence, slut-shaming, sex trafficking, and queer youth. Merging activism, social media, and global travel, these students used intersectional feminism for social change. Students led a retreat on queer youth; learned from global feminist and queer groups; and attended International Day of the Girl events at the UN. These partnerships ultimately inspired activism and social justice leadership globally.

[I] Creativity and Academic Excellence in the Classroom

PRESENTERS: Molly James, Researcher, Writer, Educator | Kent Place School

Educators have always been champions of academic excellence. Many now suggest we become champions of creativity as well. What is the connection between creativity and academic excellence? How does one integrate creativity into an academically rigorous program? What classroom management plan supports both creativity and academic excellence in the classroom? What can one teacher do? Through experiential hands-on work, a research-based presentation, and discussion, participants will explore these and other questions. Participants will discover ways to integrate and support the deep thinking and risk taking of creativity and academic excellence in all subjects and educational settings.

[I] The Critical Components of Developing an Impactful Girls' Leadership Program at Your School

PRESENTERS: Liz Schmitt, Chief Enrollment and Student Affairs Officer | Miss Porter’s School; Mandy Hickling, Chief Program Officer | The Moms as Mentors Project; and Emilie Liebhoff, Assistant Head of School & Founder | Dedham Country Day School & The Moms as Mentors Project

Porter's Leads and The Moms as Mentors Project are multidimensional programs with a single goal: impact through partnership. Learn from Miss Porter's School about how Porter's Leads inspires middle school girls to become comfortable with their personal power and engage in the world as visionary leaders. Hear how they partner with Moms as Mentors to positively impact a much overlooked influence on girls' confidence: girls' relationships with their mothers. Moms as Mentors will address how programs that strengthen the mother-daughter bond and empower mothers as role models make a critical difference in creating the next generation of women leaders.

[I] Design Thinking in Leadership, Teaching and Learning - A Whole School Approach

PRESENTERS: Jacinda Euler, Principal and Anna Owen, Deputy Principal | Brisbane Girls Grammar School (Australia)

BGGS has integrated Design Thinking as a structured approach to generating and developing ideas in leadership, curriculum and digital pedagogy. The session will explore how a focus on Design Thinking began with a Thought Leader in Residence and was integrated into the School’s strategic educational priorities through four main themes: staff engagement; re-imagining contemporary learning spaces; student learning; and service. Related project outcomes included: growing professionally through curriculum development; classroom design for a new Research Learning Centre; reshaped Technologies curriculum; and translating empathy, at the heart of Design Thinking, into deeper engagement for community service in relation to indigenous awareness.

[I] Development Education and Enrichment - Setting the Foundations at the Junior School Level

PRESENTERS: Charlotte Avery, Headmistress | St Mary's School, Cambridge (United Kingdom)

At St Mary’s School, Cambridge our Development Education and Enrichment programme strives to equip girls with the age-appropriate knowledge and skills they need to make better decisions for a just and sustainable world. It follows a path of: understanding global issues, developing insights into how and why these have occurred, and finally thinking critically about what can be done to create an alternative future. We believe that, in the long run, it is the girls’ acquisition of these abilities that will facilitate them having "Better understanding leading to better decisions."

[I] The Different Faces of Leadership: A Profile of One School

PRESENTERS: Hope Blosser, Middle School Faculty; Jordan Schnell, Middle School Academic Dean; and Rose F., 12th Grade Student | Convent of the Sacred Heart (NY)

This panel-discussion session will illustrate the multitude of ways in which middle and upper school girls from one all-girls independent school can experiment with and design varying levels of leadership. Presented by a small group of teachers and student leaders, this session will help participants learn about a wide range of formal and informal leadership roles as well as collaborative techniques among teachers and students to form said roles. Administrators and faculty will have time to brainstorm roles that may work within their own institutions and return to their schools with practical ideas to launch a range of leadership opportunities for their students.

[I] Dream Big and Print 3D: Design Thinking Challenges for the Classroom

PRESENTERS: Jeremy Sambuca, Director of Educational Technology and Erik Nauman, Educational Technologist | The Hewitt School

When design thinking is paired with the emerging maker movement, they have the capability to deeply engage girls in relevant experiences that allow them to develop their critical thinking, problem solving, empathy, and communication skills. Participants will explore how design thinking is used at The Hewitt School to encourage deeper thinking, and a greater understanding of the maker movement and its implications in girls education.

[I] Empowering Girls in the Great Outdoors

PRESENTERS: Laura Friedman, Account Manager | Grand Classroom and Kate Drown, World Language Chair | Academy of Notre Dame

Come discover the benefits of outdoor experiential learning for girls and how to employ them at your school! Grand Classroom believes that nature is our "grandest classroom," and the girls on our trips improve their mindfulness, leadership skills, and self-esteem, while learning hands-on about environmental stewardship and the natural sciences. See how travel to our National Parks or international destinations can help your students and learn how to get the benefit of the outdoors without even leaving your campus!

[I] Empowering Girls to be Leaders Through Sports

PRESENTERS: Jeff Beedy, PLUS Founder and Head of School | Purnell School

The workshop will examine how the principles of global initiatives such as the U.S. Department of State’s Empowering Women and Girls through Sports Initiative (2012), Right to Play, and PLUS Global can be implemented within our K-12 programs. The workshop will present best practices and an integrated literacy curriculum that focuses on the history of women in sports. A metric system for measuring leadership will be introduced. The speaker’s original thesis at Harvard in the early eighties charted the cartography of a new domain in sport’s education and the model has been implemented in China, Africa, South Korea, Cyprus, and the United States.

[I] Engineering Through the Arts

PRESENTERS: Steve Hammer, Engineering & Design Teacher | Mercy Academy

This session will explore how creativity and innovation, commonly practiced in the arts, applies to problem solving and engineering in STEM fields. Utilizing arts and technology allows students to engage in experiential learning that challenges students across the curriculum. The session will focus on student-designed projects while fostering the design thinking process to create solutions that apply to critical issues. The discussion shares the perspective of a girls Catholic high school in Kentucky that has led the way in student-led design, engineering of drones, and unmanned submarines, all of which are understood from the perspective of social awareness.

[I] Ethics in Action: Leaders of Tomorrow

PRESENTERS: Eva Lazar, Program Coordinator and Karen Rezach, Director | The Ethics Institute at Kent Place School

In a world desperately in need of ethical leaders, we strongly believe that fostering ethical thinking and ethical decision-making in our students will prepare them to be the most effective leaders and compassionate citizens of tomorrow. Developing ethical leaders for the 21st century takes much more than simply teaching about ethics; the entire community must be engaged in  doing ethics! Learn about the innovative Ethics in Action program, a collaboration between the Ethics Institute at Kent Place School and the EthicsLab at Georgetown University’s Kennedy Institute of Ethics. Ethics in Action uses methods from the world of design to enhance the study of ethics and the practice of ethical decision-making. The program brings together students, educators, designers, and real-world change-makers around a single ethical issue to learn by creating tangible change in students’ home communities.

[I] Exciting Maths

PRESENTERS: Louise Robinson, Head | Merchant Taylors' Girls' School, Crosby (United Kingdom)

The presenter will present two mathematical activities to run in your school to involve children of all abilities: 1) Horse Racing: bet on your favourite classmate to complete the puzzle in the shortest time and score points for your house; and 2) Jaguar maths: design your car to be the fastest around a track (computer activity). Specifics on how to set up each activity will be provided.

[I] Feedback That Works

PRESENTERS: Jennifer Goldberg, Teacher, Chair of Teaching and Learning | Havergal College (Canada)

Based on two years of research and development, this workshop will highlight ways in which teachers can use feedback to 1) enhance their students’ learning and achievement and 2) decrease their professional burnout. This session will tell the story of one school’s efforts to move the feedback conversation to a more productive and collaborative plain, innovating in the areas of curriculum and assessment design, instructional and evaluation strategy, as well as interpersonal and institutional norms surrounding failure and growth. Participants will leave with a full report of the presenter’s research as well as examples of successfully-piloted tools that support implementation of the workshop’s recommendations.

[I] A Feminist Framework for Teaching Multiple Perspectives

PRESENTERS: Jacqueline Nelson, Kindergarten Grade Level Coordinator/Head Teacher and Alicia Ferrill, First Grade Teacher | The Hewitt School

Girls are complex. Why look at their education with a singular perspective? To provide meaningful education for girls, educators must consider the developmental significance of age, sex, and race. Looking at the intersection of child development, racial identity development, and the cognitive development of girls, this workshop highlights the importance of multidimensional girls’ education. It offers a “female-centric” lens through which participants can approach girls’ education. To better meet the needs of diverse student experiences, we will take a critical look at “hidden curriculum”, explore “untold stories”, and challenge participants to reflect on current teaching practices.

[I] For Men Only

PRESENTERS: John Bjornton, Teacher | Young Women's Leadership School of East Harlem

A popular saying proclaims that, “a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.” The reality is that girls need honorable men in their lives the way fish need water. They need men who can project both strength and kindness and make what is right more important than what feels good. This workshop is intended to provide a supportive environment where participants can give voice to their successes and concerns about the vital role of male educators in a society where men are increasingly absent from the lives of their daughters.

[I] Fostering Self-advocacy and Resiliency through Health & Physical Education

PRESENTERS: Michelle Stevenson, Department Chair, Physical Education and Sara E. Every, MS/US Counselor and Department Chair of Foundations in Health and Wellness for Young Women | The Kent Place School

How do we inspire girls to become leaders using their experiences in Physical Education and Health & Wellness programs? We believe that integral to girls’ growth as leaders is an awareness of self, and one’s unique needs to be successful. Through our intentionally complementary programs, our students simultaneously find their voices and practice strategies that strengthen their physical and psychological core. We will share with participants the structure of our programs and the overwhelming benefits for our students. Be prepared to experience diverse aspects of our signature programs through the process of constructing norms, physical movement and group facilitation.

[I] How Do Young Girls Take Up a Leadership Identity… or Not?

PRESENTERS: Mary Shapiro, Trust Chair of Leadership Development | Simmons College

Women and girls often avoid regarding themselves as “leaders”. Why? What happens over the course of our lives that causes us to either take up that moniker or reject it? In this session we’ll examine a model that attempts to capture the impact that women’s life experiences, society, and multiple social identities has on how women identify as leaders or not. It’s a model I developed to use with my undergraduate students in an upcoming leadership course: students will reflect on their own identity journey and modify the model to explain that journey. Come to this INSPIRE! session to discuss and refine the model based on your own experiences, and your deep knowledge as educators of young women.

[I] Implementing a Robust IB Program: One School's Journey

PRESENTERS: Lillian Solis-Silva, IB Coordinator | Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart

How can the International Baccalaureate (IB) program compliment your school's mission and enhance your curriculum? Can the IB help revitalize your arts program and attract scientists? In what ways can participating in an IB diploma program help girls develop risk-taking and resilience? This session will focus on Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart's implementation of the IB program in 2005 and its growth over the past ten years to 100% participation. In addition, it will consider the ways in which the IB program can help maximize a girl's learning throughout her final two years of high school. The various assessments and requierements will be discussed.

[I] Integrating Global Competencies into the Curriculum

PRESENTERS: Susanna Jones, Head of School and Melissa Brown, Director of Global Education | Holton-Arms School

From third through twelfth grade, Holton-Arms School fosters the development of global competencies both inside and outside the classroom. In this interactive session, we will share how Holton educators have reshaped curriculum to provide increased cultivation of the disposition, knowledge, communication skills, and critical thinking necessary for making sense of the world’s interconnectedness and taking appropriate action for the promotion of sustainability, social justice, equality, and peace. Using Holton's model as a springboard, participants will work in small groups to explore the four learning dimensions of global competence and discuss how they can integrate these dimensions into their own curricula.

[I] It's the Little Things that Matter the Most: Building Brilliant Boarding Experiences for Girls

PRESENTERS: Tina Campbell, Head of Boarding | St Mary's Anglican Girls' School (Australia)

This INSPIRE workshop focuses on boarders at our schools. A successful boarding experience requires school and boarding to understand girls, how they think, how they act and how they react. This workshop will give delegates the opportunity to take away with them materials that will enrich boarders’ lives. It will focus on simple activities and initiatives to help to develop a positive mindset, a wholesome body and an enlightened soul. The activities presented will help to arm girls for a fulfilling life inside and outside of boarding and create within them a positive mindset for a flourishing future.

[I] Teaching Geopolitics Matters: Inspiring Girls to Pursue Careers in Foreign Affairs

PRESENTERS: Tracy Walder, Upper School Faculty | The Hockaday School

Globalization is here, and world economies are intertwined like never before. What happens overseas will affect us here at home. As a result, American foreign policy decisions have long-lasting consequences, and the people making those decisions will not live long enough to experience the full effects of them; however, the girls we teach will. Spurred by the significant gender imbalance that exist regarding the representation of women in foreign affairs, and the knowledge gap that exists among teens and global affairs, I created a class whose focus is to educate girls on foreign policy and inspire them to pursue careers in global affairs. This class uses techniques learned from my former employment in the CIA Counterterrorism center and as a former Special Agent with the FBI. Through utilizing Twitter, our school has become pivotal in educating teens throughout the US on foreign affairs.

[I] Lessons from the Be Well, Lead Well Field

PRESENTERS: Sue Sadler, Associate Head of School, Director of Upper School; Koyen Shah, Director, Center for Leadership and Well-Being; and Hallie Godshall, Dean of Students | Hathaway Brown School

Be Well, Lead Well was coined as a tag line for an annual school theme in 2013 but it struck a chord here, and we weren’t ready to let it go when the year ended. Now, Be Well, Lead Well is strategy #5 in a six-point comprehensive strategic plan for Hathaway Brown School and is being implemented on all levels—for students, parents, and teachers. We will share what prompted and informed the work and describe how it has taken shape here. Join us, Head of Upper School, Dean of Students, and Director of the Center for Leadership and Well-Being, to hear lessons learned in the field.

[I] Let’s Go Global: Incorporating a Worldview into Every Lesson

PRESENTERS: Melissa Fairchild, Spanish Teacher | Trinity Hall School

The effort to globalize your curriculum may be confronted with challenges. Let’s make what seems impossible, possible. Creating a global curriculum can take as little as 5 minutes or can run through an entire curricular theme. Some courses have a natural avenue to global curriculum; therefore, the inclusion of global connections can be a daily occurrence. However, other courses may find globalizing the curriculum more challenging. Let’s make going global possible across programs of study and, at the same time, make it cross-curricular. In this INSPIRE! session we will discuss the global competencies; collaborate and build global elements or activities in the lessons; and present possible assessments that prove the importance and success of a global curriculum. Everyone will walk away with new resources and a fresh take on a commonly studied topic.

[I] Leveraging Social Media for Global Citizenship

PRESENTERS: Daniel Polk, Director of Global Citizenship | The Hamlin School

How does a girls’ school become a vocal participant in the global citizenship conversation? In this session, we will explore global citizenship and demonstrate how a school can harness social media to engage with local, regional, national, and international communities. Specifically, we will examine how Twitter and blogs can be used to cultivate school wide global citizenship. We will learn how social media can be used to strengthen community partnerships, identify public/private community resources, help individuals connect with strategic partners, and increase a school’s visibility and voice. Please join this robust discussion with the innovative Hamlin School of San Francisco.

[I] Positive Psychology & the Power of Hope: Equipping Girls to Thrive & Lead

PRESENTERS: Margaret Nagib, PsyD | Timberline Knolls

The field of Positive Psychology has shown hope to be a critical key to achieving and maintaining health, wellness, and a meaningful existence. Research has shown that hope is essential to individuals thriving on every level and that individuals who harness the power of hope in their lives go on to accomplish amazing things. Learn about the latest in hope research and how to harness the power of hope to equip girls to thrive and lead.

[I] The Power of Makerspaces: Building Young Girls' Self-Efficacy

PRESENTERS: Julia Ewart, Educational Technologist and Urvi Shah, Director of Technology and Innovation | Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart

It has long been thought that self-esteem is paramount to a girl's success in school and mental health. But here's a new thought: what if the benefits of self-efficacy have a greater importance on student success with learning? This session will focus on the findings of the study question, “will makerspace experiences increase young girls' self-efficacy?” The short answer is: yes! Whether you want to learn more about the findings of this study, are interested in lessons learned, or want to get ideas about the types of maker activities that are successful for young girls, this session is for you!

[I] Preaching and Practicing

PRESENTERS: Michele Lambert, Principal | St. Joseph's Academy and Cathy Macgregor, Clinical Psychologist

Our school will introduce an Innovation and Design Studio next year as a way of ensuring project-based learning to prepare our girls for college life and the work force. In order to help the faculty fully understand the ideas inherent in this program, we are holding a faculty development day in which we present the ideas behind Innovation and Design, then challenge the faculty to a project based on those ideals. This project will be to design a 21st century classroom for their discipline. The winning submission gets to develop the classroom on campus. The idea behind Innovation and Design is that it allows students to take an idea from inception to completion and utilizes all disciplines in a collaborative effort. Empathy is interwoven, as the project must be based on solving a problem in one’s community or in the world. This session presentation will provide brief background into why project-based learning works particularly well with female brains. Then it will move into the facets of Innovation and Design, followed by the faculty development portion. Participants will be able to introduce project-based learning to their faculty and within classrooms, even without the studio component.

[I] Raising Digital Directors

PRESENTERS: Janell Burley Hofmann, Author of iRules, Speaker, Founder | iRules Academy

In this session, I will discuss the mission to raise young women to become Digital Directors. When one becomes a Digital Directors of her own life, she uses technology mindfully, deliberately and with purpose. One’s relationship to technology is part of the health and wellness conversation, incorporating components of emotional, social and physical well-being. Raising young women to be Digital Directors evokes intentional tech use, empowers choice and fosters leadership. Digital Directors impact life inside and outside of the classroom, ultimately shifting thought and culture with a tech positive approach.

[I] Risky Business: Integrating Science and Leadership to Cultivate Intentionality, Creativity, and Trust

PRESENTERS: Kerry Whittaker, Marine Science Faculty | Coastal Studies for Girls

At Coastal Studies for Girls, we integrate science and leadership, redefining paradigms of each. We frame science as a creative act encouraging students to bravely explore the edge of what they know. Through leadership we cultivate growth mindsets, normalize interpersonal conflict, and provide tools for healthy resolution. In this session we will introduce how student-driven research projects can weave science with leadership to encourage confident questioning, critical thinking, and a trust of self. We’ll share tools for achieving rigorous scientific inquiry and intentional group process. Finally, we will facilitate a discussion on incorporating leadership into existing academic courses, particularly STE(A)M.

[I] Robot Makers as Writers: Infusing CCLS Writing into STEM

PRESENTERS: Allison Persad, Principal | The Young Women's Leadership School of Astoria and Moses Ojeda, Principal | Thomas Edison Career and Technical High School

Five years from now, 1.4 million jobs will be open in the United States in computing related fields, but only 3% will be filled by women. How can we create opportunities for girls to draw upon their imagination and creativity to design, experiment, build and invent all while using their words? This session explores the opportunities to integrate writing into complex STEM curricula in order to open pathways to fields such as biomedicine, engineering, nanotechnology and robotics. Powerful hands-on investigations integrating language can inspire innovation and confidence. STEM writing increases inquiry and application of skills; students become active participants while gathering data, using graphics, writing observations, communicating information using models, constructing explanations and applying prior knowledge.

[I] Rock The Street, Wall Street

PRESENTERS: Maura Cunningham, Founder, Executive Director | Rock the Street, Wall Street (USA)

Rock The Street, Wall Street (RTSWS) is a financial literacy and mentorship program designed to spark the interest of high school girls so that they see the relevance of math and finance in everyday life and begin to visualize a pathway to a career in finance. Since our launch in September, 2012, over 400 girls have attended our classroom sessions and field trips throughout schools and community centers located in Chicago, Memphis, Nashville and most recently in New York City. We are excited to announce that we will be launching our next chapter in Dallas, Texas in February, 2016. RTSWS's overall goal is to teach high school girls about the empowerment of financial literacy and mentor those that wish to be, into the world of finance. Our sessions are taught by volunteer female financial professionals who rock our classrooms by ripping from the financial headlines and making the course relevant to the girls. Our goals include:  (1) Increase the number of girls who are "unafraid" of math and finance. (2) Increase financial literacy among high school students; (3) Address the under-representation of women in the financial services industry where women represent only 6% of the leaders by mentoring the girls while still in high school; (4) Increase the number of girls applying to colleges and universities that offer a specialty in business and preparing them for being a minority in their business, (particularly finance and economics), classes; and (5) Improve America’s competitive edge in STEM careers by tapping into the other half of the species' math skills. Come and hear how our program has resonance with those in the financial profession as well as with school administrators - some of which have elected since the introduction of our program, to begin offering specializations in finance into their high school curriculum.

[I] Schools Not Factories: How Student-Driven, Global Collaboration Fosters Authentic Learning

PRESENTERS:

Inspired by Sugata Mitra’s TED-Prize-winning school-in-the-cloud model, learn about a self-organized learning environment (SOLE) with a diverse team of experts and practitioners. We’ll explore effective roles for teachers and discuss an environment where children of all abilities learn, collaborate, unlock the big questions and ignite passions. This self-directed learning model engages students through the use of technology, self-discovery, collaboration, and social media. During this interactive session, participants will have the opportunity to experience a guided SOLE for themselves, in order to take it back to their schools.

[I] Service Learning integration in Lower School Classrooms

PRESENTERS: Laura Day, Director of Service Learning and Randal Rhodus, Head of Lower School | The Hockaday School

In this session, we will focus on helping schools transition their community service into service learning. We now have every grade level PK-4th aligned with different service themes that tie into the curriculum. We will highlight how we made the transition, talk about our all school day of service, and highlight two grade levels' curriculum and service connections. We will focus on our second grade whose theme is the environment in which they teach lessons on recycling, work on transforming Dallas's Trinity River, and started a business that sells sustainable products. Our third grade has the theme of hunger and has started a partnership with UNICEF and a local non-profit, gone on field trips to sustainable farms in food oases, and followed a curriculum focused on hunger integrated into all subjects.

[I] Sharing Global Themes and Activities for Fostering Healthy Development and Cultural Awareness

PRESENTERS: Stacey Bill, World Language Teacher | Notre Dame Academy

Growing and developing in today’s global society, girls can feel pressures from all angles on every aspect of their life: their appearances, their relationships, their future decisions, their interests, and the list goes on and on. This session aims to share global themes from an AP Spanish teacher that have been used in the language classroom, but can be easily managed across curriculums. We will focus on activities and materials that promote healthy relationships and body images. Such materials will include global perspectives and challenges that encourage development of personal opinions and ideas. Participants will also see materials that high school girls taking Spanish created to further empower other young women in developing countries.

[I] Small Steps in Mindfulness, Giant Growth for Girls

PRESENTERS: Patricia Hearn, Head of School; Charito Sotero de Menezes, Director of Student Services; and Nisha Nathani, Teacher | Lake Washington Girls Middle School

Mindfulness is a transformative tool that anyone can learn and that develops with practice. Adolescent girls can benefit greatly from mindfulness, as research shows that it increases self-awareness, attention, emotional regulation, and resilience. In this session, consider the benefit of practicing and teaching mindfulness; hear how and why Lake Washington Girls Middle School integrated mindfulness into their program; and find out how you can easily and effectively incorporate mindfulness into your school culture.

[I] Social Justice Unit: Immigrants and Refugees

PRESENTERS: Alison Rice, 6th Grade English Language Arts Teacher and Sarah Walker, Journalism Teacher and 7th Grade English Language Arts Teacher | The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders

We believe our girls will change the world. In order to grow thoughtful leaders, creative problem solvers, and influential game changes, we developed this 6th grade unit to increase their global awareness and empathetic nature. In cooperative learning groups, students select contemporary issues, research the geo/eco/political groundwork, delve into the plights of others, and present their interactive exhibits. NCGS goals incorporated into this unit are: STEAM (a visual/interactive presentation), civic/community engagement (community members interviewed by students), classroom innovation (unique, non-traditional process), teaching/curriculum (disciplines intersect with current topics), and leadership (students engage in problem solving).

[I] Solution Slam!

PRESENTERS: Sloan Hiscock, Grade 4 Teacher and Judy McCallum, Grade 4 Teacher | St. Catherine's School

Do you need inspiration on how to integrate instructional technology at the elementary level? Come to this INSPIRE! session to learn how to take small steps in your classroom that will have a huge impact on your students’ learning! We will share several web based tools that encourage creative thinking and  collaborative problem solving while adding relevance and fun to your math and language arts curriculums.

[I] Strategies and Techniques to Empower Girls in the Classroom

PRESENTERS: Maria Gabriela (Gaby) Martino de Galindez, Head Teacher | ALCED Argentina (Argentina)

How can schools make sure to be the appropriate environment to help their girl students reach their maximum potential? We will discuss girls' particular learning styles and explore strategies to teach effective lessons for girls. Conversation will also revolve around differentiated instruction and the components, learning modalities and strategies to empower girls in the classroom and help them achieve academic success.

[I] Tailoring Student Trips to the Needs of All Female Student Groups

PRESENTERS: Ned Clark, Vice President & Program Director | Travel for Teens

We have been leading all female student groups every summer since 2005. We have learned how to design, market and execute a trip around the specialized needs of the students, faculty and parents of your schools. Let us discuss with you some helpful planning tips so that you could take your learning outside of the classroom.

[I] Teaching an Entire Community to Thrive: One School’s Approach to Wellness

PRESENTERS: Heather Avery, Assistant Head, Student Support | Lakefield College School (Canada)

Lakefield College School has partnered with kinesiologist/researcher Greg Wells to create a wellness program based on pillars of positive psychology, mindfulness, and cutting edge research on physical performance. The program, a six-month blended learning set of modules, is being implemented with staff in 2015-16, and with the student body in 2016-17. The session will detail our approach to building and implementing the program, including our challenges in creating a package that appealed to all learners.

[I] Teaching Girls AP Calculus: Making the Shift from A(nswer getting) to P(roblem Solving)

PRESENTERS: Iswari Natarajan, High School Math Department Chair | St. Mary's Academy

Teaching advanced math to girls is about building confidence, self worth and grit. A meaningful math classroom can be built by making a paradigm shift on what’s being emphasized. Let’s focus more on the process than the product, encourage questioning than answering, and realize the importance of failure as a stepping stone to success. Come hear the story of how these principles helped an entire class of 25 girls at St. Mary’s Academy ace the AP Calculus test. Participants will learn about innovative teaching strategies and ideas to make math more exciting and leave inspired to create better problem solvers.

[I] Teaching Girls to Rule Their Own Experiences: Columbus School for Girls and ROX Working Together to Educate and Empower Girls

PRESENTERS: Betsy Esser, Director of Diversity and Inclusion and Lauren Greenspan, Director of Counseling | Columbus School for Girls

Drama, self-esteem, friendships, pressure, social media... a girl’s life can be tough. We know that by the time girls get to high school, only 24% say that they are happy the way they are. Learn how a school-community non-profit collaboration is changing the way that girls experience themselves, their relationships, experiences, and decisions. Through delivering an evidence-based curriculum, CSG and ROX are addressing the critical issues impacting girls including: confidence, self-esteem, body image, healthy relationships and communication, cyberbullying and social media, safety and sexual violence prevention.

[I] Teaching Tools – A Model for Project Based Learning Through Theatre Techniques in the Classroom

PRESENTERS: Sam Robinson, Chair, Art Department | Mayfield Senior School

Recognizing the power of confidence in speaking in front of a group, and the value of the ability to work together as a team to plan and create, this workshop will provide practical skills and handouts for teachers with a model to guide students on taking a work of literature or historical event, where students break down a story into parts to create a presentation on the given subject matter. Students will work in small groups on a project which is adaptable to a range of skill levels and ages.

[I] Training & Supporting Early Career Teachers

PRESENTERS: Dana Collins, Reading Specialist & Site-Based Mentor | Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women

This session will discuss how The Baltimore Leadership School for Young Women instituted a systematic program (BLSYW 101) for teacher support and development for all early career teachers and those new to the school. BLSYW 101 was designed to orient the new teachers to the school, share the school’s mission and school year goals, and prepare teachers to plan and deliver highly effective instruction. There are three major components to the program: pre-service orientation meetings, bi-weekly professional development sessions, and ongoing feedback from the site-based mentor, other instructional staff and the administration. This session will explain program planning and implementation as well as program challenges and successes.

[I] Using the Arts to Teach Problem Solving – STEM to STEAM

PRESENTERS: Abigail James, Adjunct Professor | Germanna Community College

Some girls find the STEM areas to be difficult and perhaps distressing. Part of the problem is that young girls may not be exposed to developing spatial skills or problem solving techniques. Without these two it is easy for girls to emphasize memorizing the “right answer” rather than developing methods to determine an acceptable response. Many girls feel comfortable in the arts taking risks to come up with novel approaches to a problem. This session will include many specific examples and strategies for teachers to help include the arts, moving from STEM to STEAM.

[I] Using Wellness Classes to Inspire Girls to Pursue Service and Careers in Global Health

PRESENTERS: Suzanne Baumann, Director of Counselor and Wellness | The Winsor School

In the wake of injustices, refugee crises, and accelerating needs for medical and psychological treatment for children and adults across the globe, girls are eager to step in and serve others. Without knowing exactly how to do so, the world's problems can be terribly daunting and students can feel a sense of futility and helplessness. However, when we infuse our health curricula with information about careers in global health, girls can develop concrete goals and dreams that can not only decrease their sense of futility, but also inform their paths of study and career development. This session will highlight the work educators can do to inform and inspire students to seek out opportunities to serve and heal the world. Emphases are placed on using community and alumnae contacts to bring careers to life.

[I] Wellbeing Coaching Model: Personalised, Evidence Based Practice for Wrap Around Care for Adolescent Girls

PRESENTERS: Catherine Misson, Principal | Melbourne Girls Grammar (Australia)

This session will provide insight and advice for those educators ready to move from a traditional model of student wellbeing to a new architecture: introduction of skilled wellbeing coaches, use of benchmark wellbeing tools, personalised care within an evaluation framework that maps and predicts a student's wellbeing, use of technology to integrate data and make visible the goals and the progress points for the student, the cohort, and overtime, the longitudinal indicators of wellbeing for the student community.

[I] “What’s Race Got to do With It?”: Creating Racially Conscious Classrooms

PRESENTERS: Wendy Barrales, Writing Teacher/Instructional Coach | Urban Assembly Institute of Math and Science for Young Women and Nicia Fullwood, Co-Founder Brooklyn Emerging Leaders Academy Charter HS | Brooklyn Emerging Leaders Academy Charter High School

Inspired by the work of Lisa Delpit and H. Richard Milner IV, this session will explore how issues of race unfold in classrooms. Too often, race and gender are absent from the conversation. This INSPIRE! session will focus on the intersectionality of race and gender through a feminist lens. We will address the need for spaces of cultural competence in schools and provide educators with the necessary tools and foundational knowledge to begin implementing classrooms of racial consciousness. Regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity, educators will leave with a deeper understanding of racially conscious classrooms and a strong desire to be agents of change.

[I] When Will I Ever Use This? Making Mathematics Meaningful to Girls

PRESENTERS: Krista Holstein, PhD, Academic Chair, Instructor of Mathematics | Saint Mary's School

Young women have the ability and the aptitude to pursue STEAM-related fields. While the number of women in science and math is increasing, they are still less likely to pursue a scientific occupation than their male counterparts (Angier, 2013). Often, women choose to work in health care or education, where they feel they are making a difference. However, in a study where students participated in a mathematics course based entirely in contexts, preliminary results indicate that this type of instruction may make a difference in girls’ attitudes and in their problem-solving abilities. Session participants will receive portions of this curriculum.

[I] Teaching Girls to Code through Creativity

PRESENTERS: Alexandra Diracles, Co-Founder; Melissa Halfon, Co-Founder; and Leandra Tejedor, Lead Designer | Vidcode

This session will be presented by the founders of Vidcode, a platform designed to teach programming by making creative projects with code. Female engineers determined to increase girls' participation in computer science, they will provide an overview of this tool and curriculum that appeals to young women by tapping into the popular hobby of video and photo sharing. The presenters will share best practices for creating a collaborative and engaging learning environment and demonstrate how coding can be woven into other subject areas, from natural science to the arts, with examples of cross-disciplinary curricula.